Thursday 27 June 2013

Book Review#17. - Achtung Schweinehund!



As is my want, and having finally finished this latest spot of bedtime reading, it is  customary to pen a short review, but with this splendid tale of 'Imaginary Combat' by Harry Pearson I intend to break with tradition a tad and direct you to the reviews of others.  The first thing to acknowledge is that I own this book as a direct result of having read the positive reviews at both Paul's, 'The Man Cave' and Ben's, 'Monsieur le Rosbif & Johnny Frog'.  Both Gentlemen had written such glowing reports that I quickly scribbled down the title and added it to my Christmas wish list - yes, I really do that!  

On completion, I thought I would revisit their reviews and measure my own findings against their own and I have to confess that I found myself in total agreement with both, this really was a gem of a book and probably should be required reading for all that share an interest in this most wholesome of hobbies.  So good, in fact, are Paul's and Ben's reviews that it seems a little churlish of me to reinvent them here, so I shall just quote a little from both and encourage you to read them in their entirety by following the links to their respective blogs.

...the author goes on to make other wonderfully self mocking commentaries which apply to all of us gamers really.  For example, after recording the time it took to paint 28 20mm soldiers (43hrs, 27mins - a full working week with a bit of overtime) he observes 'I thought of all the figures I had painted in my life.How many years it had taken to paint them.  If I had put it into some sensible activity I might now be a lawyer, architect or neurosurgeon and you'd be reading a book by somebody sensible like John Grisham, Bernard Cornwell or Alain de Botton.'  Certainly a perspective most gamer wives would agree with, even if only from a financial perspective.  Nonetheless you can feel the love and enjoyment of modelling and gaming all the way through the book. 

from 'Monsieur le Rosbif & Johnny Frog':
This book is a rolled-gold, authentic, laugh-out-loud cack-fest that should be required reading for all historical wargamers. While I only took up this hobby 6 years ago, my childhood was so filled with toy soldiers and dreams of heroism and glory that the author's reminiscences struck a clear note of recognition in me. His descriptions of role-playing-games and their players had me laughing till I shed tears, and his descriptions of wargames conventions and the people who attend them was uncomfortably close to the truth! 

There will be no 'tie in' miniature to this title as in previous posts just the most sincerest recommendation and a strong four crown rating from yours truly - certainly worth every penny in my humble opinion.
 

24 comments:

  1. Does Sound good. I remember getting ideas from Minnie the minx, an upturned bath tub on bicycle wheels as a tank..a periscope stuck out of the plug hole. I wonder if it mentions making rifles from sticks and "mud bombs"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a mighty fine semi-automatic stick that was prone to jamming periodically!

      Delete
  2. I read the book a year ago. I found it painfully accurate. To the point that I cringe when I think of it. It is a really good read and I can do nothing but recommend it to any in the hobby. But avoid it like the plague if you take yourself or this hobby too seriously! It is 100% authentic! Good and bad together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly fits with how I felt about it - great fun though.

      Delete
  3. Okay I'm convinced, Amazon here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you took all the hours spent by gamers and painters in the world and combined our talents, we could probably discover the Unifying Theory of Physics. But who would then paint the mini's. I shudder at the horror of that thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry Anne as the first thing we would invent would be a time machine so that we could go back and spend the time painting the miniatures that we didn't have the time to do while we were discovery the Unifying Theory of Physics!

      Delete
  5. I also think this book is a little gem. I have re-read it twice, usually when I need a humour transplant.....

    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/achtung-schweinehund.html

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly see myself digging it out again in the years to come.

      Delete
  6. It doesn't take much to persuade me to buy a book! Just ordered a cheap copy from Amazon.

    I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must let me know how you get on with it.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad my review went some way persuade you to read it. I'm even more pleased you enjoyed it seemingly as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've thought about buying it for some time and this just might have tipped me over.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on Christopher it really is a great read.

      Delete
  9. It certainly lots things u swargamers and painters etc of certain age will recognise. I laughed as well. Also i i come from the same area the early chapters resonated in other ways as well.

    he has a blog out there are well http://parumpugna.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up on the blog link.

      Delete
  10. Ah, the irony; I've just picked up a kindle edition from amazon.de ...

    Thanks for the pointer!
    Clive

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a feeling you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael I first saw this book here on your blog & just the imagery alone on the cover started my mind reeling into all kinds of skirmish scenarios. I ordered the book the next day & now its in the pile of books waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this a couple of years ago and may have to dig out and read again as very funny and a stonking good read.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...